Thursday, October 29, 2009

Let's Talk About Kitchen Clutter

So, what's cluttering your kitchen counter/island? Come on, you can tell me. I know you have some. The only person I know that doesn't is my friend, Dayna. Everytime I go to her house, I notice how clutter-free her countertops are. She inspires me to keep reaching for that goal at my house. I really don't know how to keep toys, receipts, various mechanic pocket tools, mail, etc. off of my counter and it's driving me BONKERS!!! (By the way, do you remember that candy... Bonkers?? Wow, it's been a long time since I've had that. Is it still even around?) Pardon my C.I.A.D.D. - Child Induced Attention Deficit Disorder... back to the clutter.... When I moved into this house 2.9 years ago, I found what I believe to be the best idea I've ever seen from Martha Stewart. It was a shelf, which is normally hung around eye-height, with openings for baskets and had hooks on the bottom from which to hang, well, everything. Only she hung it at counter height. Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!!!!! We have a winner! I had been looking for something to go in a space in my kitchen and as soon as I saw that, I knew that would be it. So, the search was on for a shelf with hooks that would fit. Anyway, long story short, we found it at our semi-local Pottery Barn Outlet on clearance and snatched it up right away. Hubs hung it up for me as soon as we got home. Then, I found baskets that actually fit at Big Lots for $7 each and they were lined. Yay me! This shelf had purpose...1) Rid my kitchen countertop of mail, junk, etc. (baskets were assigned for each junk category) 2) Give me a place to put keys, etc. and 3) fill an empty spot on my wall that would inevitably have tiny handprints all over it. Well, although I LOVE my shelf, two of the baskets are full of clutter while the other is full of diapers/wipes and there is STILL clutter on my countertop. Now, the shelf top has clutter on it and it's suppose to only have a couple of things on it. But the hooks on the bottom have been very helpful. They are just the right height for my little chickadees to hang their sweaters/coats/diaper bag on and if I am careful it doesn't get too cluttered. Here's a pic.
Pardon the blinding white walls!!! That problem should be solved in a few weeks! Don't worry - I'll post pics!
My daily quest is to junk the clutter. If Hubs comes home and finds no clutter on the counter, he thinks I have slaved all day cleaning the house. Because to him, if the kitchen is clean, there is peace and calm. If the kitchen is a mess, chaos reigns. And I must admit, I feel the same way. This is what is cluttering my countertop this week. Pretty much sums up my week so far.

Any tips for a clutter-free countertop are welcome!

2 comments:

Ben and April said...

An area I struggle w/ all the time, Amy!! I know what you mean about Dayna's counters.

Sorry about the sick kiddos!! Hope everyone is on the mend now.

I loved Bonkers candy as a child. I looked it up. It is not made anymore : (

Ice-Family said...

Amy, you make me laugh!! :)And I feel privledged to have been mentioned on your blog!

Glad the girlies are feeling better and glad you all were able to stop by tonight! Great seeing you all!