Thursday, January 28, 2010

I Found Jesus Under My Kitchen Table

As I was walking out the door to head to the grocery store, I noticed something unsual under my kitchen table. It wasn't the usual mess of crumbs I noticed (although that was certainly there) or one of the random toys that gets thrown or kicked under the table. It was Jesus. My very giving mother (who happens to be my dear friend and mentor) gave my girls some flannel graph Bible stories awhile back. They are really cool and a great tool for teaching kids about certain people/events in the Bible in an interactive way. I love them. I think my favorite Bible stories are the ones I learned by flannel graph when I was very young in Sunday School. So, anyway, when my kids play with them, it is great. They love to tell the stories and put the right people with the right scenes and it's wonderful, but it never fails that someone or something is always left out of the container that I keep them in. Thankfully, I rescued Jesus before the crumbs multiplied which they are wont to do. I sweep several times a day, but those pesky crumbs - they multiply. Hubs doesn't believe that I sweep that often because by the time he gets home from making a living everyday, it certainly doesn't look like its been swept....several times. Anyway, as I was saying, I got Jesus out from under the table and put Him back in His rightful place. Then, I finished hauling the two children and myself to the car so we could go buy groceries. As I sat in the car and was thinking about finding Jesus under my table, I laughed. It just sounded so funny. But then, I started thinking about how this week has gone for me. I definitely wouldn't classify it as one of my best weeks. I feel like I've been bombarded with one thing after another, like something is trying to rob me of my joy by throwing one thing after another at me. It has been tiring and discouraging and expensive. But I have been reminded more than once by that Still, Small Voice inside me that I need to find Jesus in all of these things that are happening. I need to bask in the joy of knowing He isn't surprised by any of these surprises. He saw it coming. He has been preparing me for these trials and has equipped me to handle them the way He wants me to....the way that will give Him glory. He has been faithful to me my entire life through great trials, joyful times, etc. He has never let me down and I know from experience that He doesn't plan on ever letting me down. Whatever trials bombard me, I know that they will not overcome me. I can always find Jesus in any trial or joy, I just have to be looking for Him. Today I found Him under my kitchen table, but I also found Him in His Word, in the encouraging voices of my family and friends, in the beautiful music exalting Who He is and in the sweet fellowship with my girls and husband. He is real. If you are looking for Jesus, you don't have to look far. He's waiting for you to call out to Him and He will show Himself real to you.
Jeremiah 29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

4 comments:

Julie said...

I love this!

davecross said...

That'll preach...

Denise said...

Thanks Amy - I needed that today! Have a great weekend!

Jennifer Wiser said...

Amy

Thanks...I too had one of those weeks...and your post the other day about the blessings of an ordinary day reminded me too - to be thankful for those days..But like you - this week was just long, hard, and stressful, and I thought many times that Satan was laughing at me all week...Thanks for this note to end the week. Sometimes, I just have to look a little closer to find Him in each day even when I can't always see Him clearly...He is there!!!