Thursday, February 11, 2010

And I love...

.... getting mail. Real mail. Unexpected mail. Not-a-bill kind of mail. I don't know when I started loving mail, but it probably began in elementary school when I got my first pen pal. I think I was in 4th grade when we got assigned pen pals with military personnel. I had one pen pal named Rocky. She was a girl. I don't remember her real first name (maybe Michelle), but she was a kind lady. She was married and in the military. I don't remember a lot about her now except that at one point she lived in Kentucky. We lost touch after she had moved a couple of times. I also had another pen pal in the military named Steven. I don't remember a lot about him, either, and I think we exchanged letters only a few times and lost touch. Then, at some point (I can't remember the grade I was in) I had a pen pal named Sym Hyon-Jeong. She was from South Korea. My English class was assigned to her class (I think because they were learning to communicate in English) and we kept in touch for a long time. We exchanged pictures of each other and wrote about the things we were interested in, etc. She sent me some Hello Kitty stuff and a bulletin from her church. It was in Korean and, of course, I had no idea what it said or even what religion she was, but I mailed her a bulletin from my church and some gospel tracts for her and her friends in the picture. After that, I never heard from her again. I have wondered what happened to her and why she quit writing. Then, I had a pen pal from Nevada who lived on an Indian reservation. My grandmother had traveled out West with my grandaddy and came back with the name/address of my newest pen pal. I wrote her once or twice and couldn't believe I was conversing with a 'real' indian! It was cool! Oh, and then when I was in Jr. High, I had another pen pal of sorts. We met at the Winter Forward (a winter youth camp thing) and began writing letters back and forth for a few years. He lived in Ohio and we got to see each other at youth camp for a few years in a row, but that was it. We wrote letters faithfully and I loved checking the mail back in those days! ha After that, the letter writing kind of waned and I didn't really have a reason to check the mail again....until college. Oh, how I loved checking mailbox number 699 and getting letters from home and letters with 'cracker money' from my grandmother! Seems like I was always getting letters during college. What happened, people? Oh, I know what happened. Email happened.

These days I seldom receive real mail, but today.....oh yes, today....I did! I opened the box and saw the likes of this....
And when I saw my name on it I couldn't wait to open it! And when I did, it revealed this little piece of goodness....
But, of course, I read the note first (common mail-opening courtesy) and this is what it said...

I have the best sister in the world! She's creative - something I would like to be, but am not. She's fancy. I'm very plain. She's beautiful. I have an upturned nose and wild curly hair. She's witty. I try to be. She's neat and organized. I pretend to be neat and organized. (The neatness fairies are laughing their little wings off at that understatement!) She has a good blog and you should go read it...here. And she'll show you how to make yourself one of these cute flower pins for yourself.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Who in the world is this too-good-to-be-true sister you speak of? I thought I was the only one you had.

Jennifer said...

She is the same kind of friend...and I'm honored to have her...but I would say you are talented, beautiful, and charming too :-) I'm glad I know you both...and I love mail too - and ironically enough...one of the few people I still get things from is the same wonderful person who sent you that beautiful flower pin...Enjoy - it will look fantastic on you!!!

Happy Valentines Day!