Friday, March 12, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent

So, awhile back I learned about making your own laundry detergent from my friend, Dayna. She had posted on her facebook status about making detergent and people came out of the woodwork saying they'd been making theirs for awhile, too! First, I wondered why someone would do that - economical, eco-friendly, etc? - and then I googled it and realized how incredibly cheap it is. I have to admit I love the smell of certain detergents and I used to by a certain brand when it was on sale just because of the great smell. And then, I just became amazed at how expensive detergent is and started to get outraged. So, I decided to give the homemade kind a try. It is very cheap. And I have to say that it really works. There are a few variations of the recipe online, but the main ingredients are Borax, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and Fels Naptha bar soap. I made enough to fill up a 2 gallon bucket, but some recipes show a 5 gallon bucket. This is the one I followed...
1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap, grated
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup Borax
Mix Fels Naptha soap in sauce pan with 3 pints of water, heat on low til dissolved. Stir in washing soda and Borax. Stir until thickened and remove from heat. Add 1 Quart HOT water to 2 gallon bucket. Add soap mixture and mix well. Fill bucket with hot water and mix well. Set aside for 24 hours or until it gels. Use a 1/2 cup of the mixture per load of wash.
This literally cost me around $7.00 for all of the ingredients and three batches will do 192 loads of wash. So, about .03 cents per load. And you'll still have tons of washing soda and borax left over.
I made this at the beginning of our two weeks of sickness and it was perfect timing because in about a week's time, I used a whole bottle of detergent (32 loads) because of having to wash sheets and towels and clothing over and over and over.
I love that I don't have to spend mega bucks on laundry detergent anymore!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I've done this a couple of times and have been pleased with the result. I missed the scent of Tide and found some deals on it that were too good to pass up. At least I have the ingredients to make another "batch" when I need to;).

Ben and April said...

Good for you!! I have been using it for about a year now...but thanks to my mother in law, I haven't had to make it yet!! I would think if you wanted a scent you could mix in a few drop of an essential oil...lavender, eucalyptus or whatever you like. Both of those have antiseptic properties so extra good for killing germs!

James & Aisling said...

Yay for saving money on something that works great and doesn't really matter too much in life. I have heard that you can put in some drops of essential oil like April said. Glad you're enjoying it!