Monday, March 22, 2010

What Would Dad Do?

Children often look to their parents for a reaction or to find out how to act about certain situations. They take cues from us and usually follow suit. Everyone knows the well-used saying, 'If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy'. It's true. I remember watching my parents as I was growing up and taking note of their reactions to certain things and I found great security in the fact that they were very consistent. Anytime something happened that I thought couldn't be good, they had peace. There was no uproar or hopeless wailing going on, their first reaction was going to God in prayer. There is only one time that I can even remember feeling insecure because of a reaction - but I won't mention it here because my mother would not appreciate it. She will laugh, though, when she reads this and will know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. And then, Dad will promptly try to hold back his laughter, too. Well, he may just laugh out loud because it is that funny. But you had to be there. Sorry. Anyway, I found great security and stability in my parents because they trusted the Lord to handle everything. I know that they had to learn to trust Him at some point in their lives (no one is born doing that - it is an action that comes through trials and dependence upon God that allows one to truly see Him as trustworthy), but I benefited greatly from that. When things would happen that I just didn't quite understand, I would ask Dad what he thought about it and he would explain to me what was going on and the conversation always led to how the Lord is in control. He had peace when others seemed hopeless and worried. My mom is the same way. So, today as I was thinking about this whole socialized medicine thing and wondering what to make of it all (as everyone else was talking and writing about it), I found myself thinking of Dad and how he is most assuredly not losing any sleep over it or worrying about what is to come with all of that. I can guarantee that he got up this morning, read his Bible, had his coffee, drove down to the mailbox to get the paper, and continued on with his daily Monday routine with Mom and they lived their lives just like they do every Monday not threatened by or worried about the future because the same God who has provided for them, answered prayers and shown Himself faithful to them their whole lives, is still doing the same today. It doesn't matter what Congress does. They can't vote Him off of His throne. They will never be able to strip Him of His many titles. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. I find great security in that. I have no reason to worry about my future or my children's future or my grandchildren's future. God will still be God. I will do my part to vote the Dems out of office, but I won't despair. I want to teach my kids through my own response to 'bad things' that they can trust God in EVERY situation.
"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

4 comments:

Blankenship said...

So true!! Thanks for the encouraging words! Listening to a lot of discouraging comments and reading angry/desperate ones on fb too can kinda get one down. This didn't catch God by surprise. And what a great reminder to keep trusting in HIM. Thanks, Amy!

Julie said...

Amen, Sista!

Ben and April said...

Great thoughts, Amy!! Thanks!

Rockin Momma said...

Hello! I'm your new follower through Bliss Link Party! Great site! Visit me at http://www.rockindeals4you.com/?p=848 and sign up for my giveaway!