Monday, May 3, 2010

Craft Therapy

Thanks to a company {that will remain nameless} not keeping up with their aircraft maintenance, my husband has been having to work many extra hours. This might not be a big deal to a normal family, but to three little girls that absolutely love their daddy {and REALLY miss him when he's not here}, 14 hour days & weekends are not fun. The emotional rollercoaster was really wild around here and I haven't even mentioned my own feelings about it. Let's not go there. So, to make time pass a little faster and to channel the emotional energy that three little girls generate, I had to get creative. I'm not a crafty person. I can sew. I enjoy it. But I only enjoy it when I'm in the mood to sew. I can't just sew on demand. My children, on the other hand, love crafts. My sister got all the crafty genes, so I only craft in desperate situations.....like being alone with all three girls for numerous hours/days. Forseeing that it would be a very long, tiring weekend I made a trip to the Hobby Lobby. Really, the purpose was to get a couple things for a project the girls and I were making for their daddy's birthday which was this past Friday. But when I got there, I found a few other things that looked like fun things to do over the weekend. We found the stuff we were looking for for Hubs' gift and then began browsing the aisles {which can be very dangerous - too many great ideas and clearance deals!!}. I came across some clearanced canvas tote bags and thought they would be perfect for our many trips I have planned to the library this summer. Then, I realized canvases were on sale and I've been eyeing some canvas art for awhile now, but knew I would never pay the price asked when I could most likely do it myself. So, I put the canvas in my cart along with some paint and some other supplies I thought I'd need and we headed to the fabric department. Found the trim I needed to finish off an apron-dress I had made with some leftover fabric. Then, we decided to head home. These are the finished products....

Here are the girls' tote bags {not quite done, but they loved squirting paint all over them}

This is the apron-dress I made for my Middle Girl. I still need to add some big round buttons below the straps in front, but she likes it.

cowgirl apron flap - hence the name of the dress.


And here is my latest and greatest. This was my inspiration. I have been wanting to add more Scripture to our home in the form of art, and I am very pleased with the results {especially the way the letters are all different shapes/shades}.




I used:


18"x24" canvas


Barn Red acrylic paint (watered down just a little for the streak effect)


Chipboard lettering


Stencil Adhesive

I plan to do more of these in different sizes around the house. So easy and very affordable!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Love it all! Especially the art.

Ben and April said...

Cute idea with the bags!! I love the scripture art!