Thursday, August 12, 2010

Milestones...

We are hitting lots of milestones in our home lately and I have been hit with the reality that time is flying by. My kids are growing up. Which must mean I'm getting older, but we won't go there. Our most recent milestones:
~ My baby is officially potty trained (at least by daytime!) and it was way too easy. It took approximately 4 days, and she's 27 months. My older two were a good 3 1/2 before they were potty trained. And it was no picnic....believe you me. This time, I was dreading it. Really, really dreading it. And we just started cold-turkey one afternoon. I am still shocked everytime she tells me she has to 'go'. I love it!
~ My baby is sleeping in her big-girl bed tonight! We've been talking about it for awhile, but had to wait on some bunk beds for Middle Girl's room (which came today). So, tonight's the first night with her being free to wander (in a technical sense). I'll probably have to get up way earlier than I want to in the morning, but I'll survive. It won't be the first time...or the last.
~ Middle Girl is starting Kindergarten Tuesday!!!! I have been looking forward to this for months because she gets so bored being at home all the time, but now that it's fast approaching, I think I'm going to need a Kleenex. Make that a whole box of Kleenex. She's my little, thumb-sucking sweetheart and a cuddlebug. I just don't think I am ready to let her grow up. But it's time. Time to let her go. To let her begin the painful process of learning NOT to suck her thumb. To let her take her own lunch box to school and eat without me there making sure she's really eating and not still hungry. Time to let her learn and mature and make friends that I don't know. It's time. Whether I like it or not.
~ Firstborn is starting 2nd grade at a new school on Monday. We took her today to meet her teacher. I had butterflies in my stomach all morning, as though I was back in the 3rd grade when my family moved to a new city and I had to start a new school after the official school year had started. And I was wearing baby blue corduroy culottes when everyone else was wearing pants. And they all stared at me as if I were from a foreign country. Yes, I felt like I was back there as I walked into the elementary school this afternoon. Only it was much easier this time knowing from experience that everything will be okay. We met her new teacher who seems very nice and explored the classroom, found her desk, got her school spirit t-shirt. It was a good experience. She is excited about starting school Monday. Visiting her classroom and meeting her teacher was enough to settle her fears. I'm thankful she's excited. But I'll be needing a Kleenex on Monday, too.
Even though I'm not starting school, (and oh how thankful I am to be past schooling years!!) I will be very busy with my girls' schools. I have signed up for everything I can possibly sign up for, I may be subbing at Middle Girl's school, I am heading up a Moms in Touch prayer group for Firstborn's school each Monday, I'll be a member of the PTA at Firstborn's school, etc. I am exhausted just filling out my calendar for the school year. It is going to require a lot of my time, but I will only have this opportunity for a few short years. I want to really take advantage of every opportunity I can with my girls' schools. I'm going to be very involved. This is my ministry right now. It's very exciting! I'm praying for opportunities to develop new friendships with other moms in the girls' schools and will be looking for ways to be a blessing....ultimately pointing them to Christ.
Hope your school year is shaping up to be a good one for you and your children, as well!

2 comments:

Julie said...

I'm going to need Kleenex, too, the day she goes to Kindergarten. Thanks for bringing it up. And I remember well the baby blue culottes. You didn't tell me you got the bunk beds!

Julie said...

Its refreshing to see a mom not just concerned about the needs of their own family...but the needs of other families....I know you will make a difference in your girl's schools and in the lives of other moms!