Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My friends are like the cherry in my Cherry Limeade.

'Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver, the other gold.'
{Ok, so the title of this blog is silly. On purpose.}


I am convinced that Hubs and I have the best friends one could ever have. Friends from childhood all the way to the present are included in that statement. Thanks to Facebook, I am in contact with tons of friends from different stages of my life, but honestly, I wouldn't need FB to keep in contact with them. There are friends who I only have the privilege of talking to every once in awhile and then those that I hear from more often, as well as, those I talk to almost daily. But throughout my life I've always had friends. God has made my life sweeter because of them. Hubs and I went to a memorial service for his best friend over the weekend and it was refreshing and just plain sweet to remember all the good times they experienced together. He was definitely a good friend. During the service there was a testimony time, of sorts, where those in the congregation could say a brief word about our friend. It was very heart-warming and we laughed later because several people that spoke said that Matt was their best friend. And he was. He was everyone's best friend and made you feel that way. While there, we were reunited with some of our other good friends {Matt's other best friends =)} from far and near and it was great to see them! We hadn't seen them in a few years, at least, and were able to just pick up right where we left off. I love friends like that! Time cannot dull true friendship. It is just one of life's greatest blessings. I love being with Hubs and his friends. I didn't have the privilege of going to college with them...I met them all later. But I sure love hearing all the stories and reminiscing with them. I've mentioned it before, but I think of them as 'a band of brothers' because that's how they act. They know each other very well and God knitted their friendships together so tight during their college years. We had the best time laughing with them after the service and remembering the good ol' days. They surprised us Sunday night by coming up to our city {not just for our sake} and called us when we got out of church to meet us then later came over to our house when the restaurant closed. We laughed and talked and laughed some more til midnight and then decided reluctantly that the fun had to come to an end....until next time. Who knows when that will be, but we look forward to it.
I have a few very good friends, as well, from all different stages of my life. They encourage me, make me laugh {and laugh at me}, take care of my kids when I need them to, trust me with theirs, cry with me, pray for me {and I for them} and encourage me to be more like Christ. It's a joy to be around them. Life would be a bit dull without them. I'm so thankful for friends!

1 comment:

Ben and April said...

Great post, Amy!! Is is so good of the Lord to give us wonderful friends!!