Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Set Free


I've neglected the blog long enough. So, I thought I'd write something today that I've been thinking about a lot over the past few weeks. (I was going to write about my dad because today is his birthday, but my sister did that already.) Hubs and I have been praying since our girls were born that one day they would recognize their sinful nature and their need for a Savior...the Savior, Jesus Christ. A few years ago, we were thrilled when our oldest daughter saw her need and on her own asked Jesus to forgive her of her sins and come into her heart. Since then, we have seen God at work in her life. It is exciting to see definite spiritual growth in your child (or anyone for that matter!) and we have been seeing that, especially recently. And since then, she has gotten a burden for her sisters. Our middle child began asking lots of questions a few months ago, but just wasn't quite realizing her need. So, we prayed even harder and just let the Holy Spirit do the convicting. We felt that it was very important for her to come to this decision on her own, not by any cohersing from us. She began talking about this matter of salvation nearly everyday for about 2 weeks back in September and we would put her off a little bit to see if she was really serious about it. Then, in Sunday School the lesson for two weeks straight was on the sacrificing of the lambs back in the Old Testament and how the people had to sacrifice spotless lambs and the shed blood of the lambs would cover their sins and they would be forgiven. Of course, since Jesus died on the Cross, he paid the price for every sin of every person and the sacrificing of the lambs is no longer necessary. He paid that price for us. The lesson really struck her and the second week of the lesson, she told us in the car on our way home that she wanted to ask Jesus into her heart. I told her I would love for her to do that and once we got home we would talk to her about it. Sure enough, we got home and talked with her and on her own, she invited Jesus into her heart and accepted His free gift of salvation! Praise the Lord! There was an immediate change in her heart. And at that moment, though we could not see it with our eyes, her soul was set free from the bondage of sin and the death sentence that brings and she began living a new life that will be eternally free from the penalty of sin. She has a personal relationship with my Savior! I cannot tell you how much joy that brings to my heart. That very morning in church, our pastor talked about how when we accept Christ as Savior we don't even understand all that that means to us at that time, but how exciting that we can learn and grow in our relationship with Christ each and every day. As I grow in my walk with Christ, I am overwhelmed by His love and His mercy and His grace toward me in every aspect of my life. I've been set free!! Have you?

No comments: