Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Day I Nearly Voted for a Democrat

I love exercising my right to vote! It is one small way to make a big difference in the world that I live in. It's my right. It's my privilege. I don't take this for granted. I hope you don't, either. It's so exciting to me to voice my opinion by checking off my ballot and pressing that 'VOTE' button! So, this morning when I got up and realized Hubs had forgotten his cell phone, I decided I would go vote on my way to Hubs' workplace. I was happy to see that the lines were not so busy at the time I arrived - only because I had all three girls with me. They are a bit unpredictable when it comes to outings like this one. I'm never sure if they will behave themselves and show some self-control or if they will be giddy with each other, which always - ALWAYS - turns into an ordeal. I was feeling pretty good about it while I signed my name on the line confirming that I am, indeed, who I say I am and that I do have the right to vote. I thought I saw a hint of anxiety on the faces of the volunteers when I walked in with all three littles, but hoped things would go fine. Anyway, as I was going through my ballot and making sure I was checking off the people I had previously decided to vote for, #1 and #2 decided to fight about who got to stand beside me and see the screen. If you vote, you know how flimsy those voting booths are. However, we managed not to knock my little booth down. #2 decided she was bored standing there, so she began to walk circles around me...and my booth. The booths are all plugged into one another so if you unplug one, let's just say, you've got a major problem on your hands. I told #2 to stand still. Then, #3 wiggled out of my arms and wanted to stand. So, I let her stand beside me....until she began circling the booth and very nearly gave the volunteer a nervous breakdown over the idea of unplugging a machine. Finally, I got to the end of my ballot and reviewed my decisions - because Heaven knows I wasn't 100% sure I voted the way I had wanted to. Thankfully, I did get them all right and I cast my ballot while holding back a few tears. Tears of complete thanksgiving that I am so blessed to be an American, tears of excitement that I have this great privilege to bring change to the mess our leaders have gotten us into, and tears of relief that we did NOT unplug the machines...or knock one down....or give the lady a nervous breakdown. We left without harming anything or anyone and my day only got better from there.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Too funny! Lola was a little disappointed when we got to the polls because when I said we were going to vote, she thought I said we were going on a boat!

Dawn said...

LOL! Loved this.

I feel the same way when I go to vote.

I found you through a link on your sister's blog =)