Monday, November 15, 2010

Reason #327 Why I Do Not Want a Dog...

We (my siblings and I) had two dogs growing up. Our first one was a copper colored dog, I don't even know what kind it was, but her name was Penny. She lived in our backyard in a chain-link fence that was there when my parents bought the house. The fence was not even around our whole backyard, just a portion of it. Weird, now that I think about it, but it was perfect for Penny. She was a pretty dog. But she was a loud dog and apparently, the grouchy old man that lived behind us didn't appreciate that quality in a dog. Especially in the wee hours of the night. That man complained a lot {at least it seemed like a lot to me} about her. And one day when I got home from school, I found that Penny was not in her fence. She was gone. I thought she had gotten out and would just come back eventually. I remember my Mamaw sitting on the front porch with me as I was waiting. Penny never came back. It was a sad day. I can't remember when we figured out that my parents had taken her to the pound. They finally admitted that after years of us speculating about what had REALLY happened to her. I think we got over it pretty quickly, though. Then, in my high school years (I think) we had another dog. Her name was Samantha. She was a peekapoo. Little white dog and so cute. I can't remember how we got her, but we loved her. And we were so shocked when Mother actually let her come in the house! She didn't stay in the house, she just visited us in the house. She lived in our garage. But when we would open the garage door, Sam would bolt in the door and run up the stairs as fast as her little legs would go and she'd circle the living room a few times then run downstairs into the den, circle the den and then jump up in the recliner next to Dad. And she would relax. It's like she had to get it out of her system. She was a cute dog. We loved her. And then the time came when we decided to give her to my grandparents and they loved her, too. Overall, I think I can say that I had good experiences having had dogs while growing up. But, I will be the first to admit that I HATED, yes, hated cleaning up after the dog and bathing the dog. It was not my thing. This is something I'm trying to explain to my children. They have been begging us for a dog. Hubs had a dog growing up, too, and it lived indoors. I do not like animals indoors. Just my personal preference, no offense to anyone who has a pet indoors - I will still come visit you if you invite me. I just feel that I spend 90% of my time trying to keep my indoors clean and pick up after the five messy people that live here. I don't need that other 10% taken up by cleaning up after an animal. I've told my children {and Hubs, for that matter} that when said children are old enough to responsibly take care of their own things, I will think about letting them get a dog. BUT doggy must live outside and they must be 100% responsible for Dog. Momma ain't doing doggy duty, folks. So, I've tried to convince Children that they will have to clean up doggy poop and all other manner of doggy stuff in order to help them not want a doggy. {Hey, I'll do whatever I have to do to prolong this doggy business.} So, last night Middle Girl was telling me in a very dramatic way that she really wants a husky. Mommy, can I PLEASE get a husky???? PLEASE???!!!!! Then, she proceeded to tell me, 'Huskies don't poop.' And then I laughed out loud. Poor Husky. I don't want to be around when it decides to finally poop as normal doggies tend to do. Now, I must go make up another reason why we don't need a dog - since she completely blew that one out of the water.

1 comment:

Ben and April said...

That is funny that she wants a Husky...that is what Katie wants too! Although she is quite happy with the puppy we recently got : )