Thursday, January 20, 2011

Finding Your Style

I love looking through magazines and blogs. They give me some great ideas for decorating, organizing and even cleaning my home. There are certain styles I love more than others, but the problem I have is that I love several different styles which all have great ideas. I just don't know how to make them work for me. I have in my living room, furniture pieces that I love, but adding decorative pieces and art and making it all flow is proving to be difficult for me. I'm very practical, as well, so that doesn't help me! I don't like to spend money on something that I'm just going to look at. I want it to be functional. So, how do you bring your style together?
Do you start with your big pieces like couches, tv stands, side tables and then move to the small things or do you begin with paint color and accessories? The living room seems to be the hardest for me. I can handle bedrooms and bathrooms, the dining room, etc. It's this living room I have a hard time with. We have a sectional in a neutral color and a dark brown leather chair. We are shopping around for a storage ottoman to go in front of our sectional and think we have found the one! We just have to make our final decision and order it.
One day I'll finally decide on my style. And when I do, I'll be blogging about it!

4 comments:

Julie said...

That is a great ottoman. I could use that in the library. You need to enter some more giveaways!

Ice-Family said...

Really like the top picture decor idea! Would love to put something like that on the wall on our house next to the garage door. It's practical yet looks really nice!

And, btw, I think your house looks lovely and very well put together decor wise! And remember if you do ever decide to change out those LR curtains for something else...send em my way...love em!

Jennifer said...

Amy
I love that piece in the top picture- where is that from? I would love to try to find something like that for our new house :) Thanks, JEN

Amy said...

Jen - I found it in a Martha Stewart magazine - an old edition I have....AND it is online at MarthaStewart.com I think I saw it in the organization section and 'entryways'. The magazine gives step by step instructions on how to make it. They may be online, too. I'm not sure!