Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Reading

I would call myself an avid reader. I absolutely LOVE to read. I used to read every chance I got, and loved every minute of it. These days, I don't get to read all that often. I'm busy with the four fabulous people God blessed me with. Hubs and the girls get to have most of my time right now and that is A-Okay with me. Actually, now that I think about it, I could read at bedtime, but I have this problem. I'm borderline narcoleptic (according to myself, not a professional diagnosis) and everytime I sit down {except for the small window of time in the early afternoon that I might have a bit of energy} I fall fast asleep. I do the same thing with movies. And last night, I even fell asleep watching one of my favorite shows. But anyway, back to reading. I have decided that this year I am going to read more, no matter what.
My current reading involves LOTS of children's books. Middle Girl is learning to read and we are hitting it hard here at home. She has been wanting to read for a long time now because her big sister has been reading for over 2 years now. So, she has the desire. We are just working on understanding it. She's doing great so far. I'm proud of my little girl!
My next big read this year is to read through the Bible chronologically. My good friend is going to help keep me on track so that I can keep it up all year. So far, I am really enjoying it. I've always had a hard time getting the timeline down for different events in the Bible and this is really going to help me understand that. And hiding God's Word in your heart is always a good thing. I'm in Job right now and looking forward to reading more tonight!
Next week, I'm going to be attending a Ladies' Morning Break session at my church. We're studying "Don't Make Me Count to Three!" by Ginger Plowman. I've done this one before, but I really need a refresher course. Really looking forward to it!
I started another book last night that I really like so far. I'll tell you about it soon enough. I'm doing a review for Moody Publishers and this is by an author I've never read before. It's about going through trials. So far, so good. We'll see how the rest of it goes. I'm not a big fan of 'Self-help' kind of books, but this one is full of Scripture and although it is written to help you, it's not based on self-reliance, but rather God's promises. So, I'll let you know how it goes once it's done.
I'd also like to re-read some books I read years ago, but haven't found the time yet. Maybe I can fit those in the schedule somewhere!
What are your favorite books? Fiction and non-fiction? I'm always looking for a good book.

No comments: