Saturday, April 16, 2011

It's my birthday and I'll celebrate all weekend if I want to.

So, Thursday, I turned another year older. I'm not ashamed to say I'm now 35. I think it's incredible that I've survived 35 years without any major mishaps. {Except when I was 10 and the neighbor boy ran over my arm with his bike and I was in a cast for weeks with my arm bent at 90 degrees and itching. Oh, the itching.} I love birthdays and this one was no exception. My children and husband all greeted me with the expected 'Happy Birthday!' that morning and it only got better from there. I wasn't feeling the greatest because of a head cold, but that didn't stop me from living it up! On my way to take my middle girl to school, my parents called on speakerphone to wish me a Happy Birthday. That is something I look forward to every year. I love for my family to call and wish me birthday greetings. My granddaddy used to do this every.single.year. while he was alive and I still miss that 4 years later. I always will. But my parents made me feel loved and especially young when they reminded me that my older sister was in 8th grade when they were 35. My oldest is in 2nd grade. I'm old. I'm an old fogie. But what am I to do about it? Wrinkle cream and hair dye will soon be my friends. {Okay, wrinkle cream has been my friend for a long time already.} Oh well. I just told them I was going to live it up all day long. And my dad told me to live everyday like it's my birthday and just live it up. I think that's great, practical advice. Words to live by. After I dropped my girl off at school my 'baby' and I took a little drive to the Chick-fil-A for free breakfast {I love our Chick-fil-A's here. They are always doing things for the community and giving away free food.}. Then, we headed to Wal-Mart to look around. My sweet, precious Mamaw had sent me a gift card to Wal-Mart for my bday and it was burning a hole in my pocketbook. Not long after I got home, one of my sweetest friends called me and told me she'd left a 'little something' on my doorstep. You know I promptly went to the door and there was a large Dunkin Donuts Mocha Iced Coffee with a gift. She is a bosom friend. Anyone that drives 25 minutes to your house at that time of day with 3 little girls in tow just to make you feel special on your birthday is a bosom friend. {Let me just take a second to say right here and right now, there is practically no better way to start your day!} My sister called me and my brother texted me birthday greetings. Funny thing was my brother had texted me 2 days earlier. He was confused on the date. Who's the old one here? Huh? Another one of my dear friends brought me a gift later in carline. {She sacrificed some precious sleep time and got up early to text me 'Happy Birthday'. What a GREAT friend!} She's funny, crazy and loves the Lord. She's also an instigator and a daredevil, but we won't talk about that. That's for another time. {hee hee} We've been friends only since our daughters were born on the same day 5 1/2 years ago, but I feel like I've known her forever. She is a servant and is always willing to help me out and pretends like she's happy to watch my kids for the hundredth time this year every time I ask. Later, Hubs came home with an ice cream cake. It was Y to the U to the M-M-Y. I made an allergy-free ice cream cake for my girl who is allergic to milk and it was also delicious. And genius, if you ask me. Oh, you didn't ask me? Sorry. If you want the recipe you can get it here. The Hubster and the three little girls that have him wrapped around their little fingers, surprised me with a pretty dress {and it was the right size!} that I didn't know I was getting. I had already picked out my gifts with Hubs a few nights before so I didn't know I would get another one. He loves me. What can I say? He assured me the surprise gift had nothing to do with him having to buy some new camping supplies for his backpacking excursion next weekend. =) Then, to finish off the night, another of my favorite friends left a gift for me on my doorstep. She's been my friend for nearly 12 years. We have been through some d-r-a-m-a together, letmetellyou. It has been an interesting 12 years, but so full of fun and spontaneity. That's the kind of friend she is. Spontaneous and fun. And loyal. Very loyal. God crossed our paths at just the right time in our single days and we had so much fun together. We don't get together as often these days {even though we only live 1/4 mile away from each other}, but when we do we pick right up where we left off. She's that kind of friend. I'm so lucky. But really, luck has nothing to do with it. It's all been orchestrated by God. He loved me enough to put me in the greatest, funnest (just go with it), most loving family ever. He also directed my path so that I would meet the kindest, most genuine friends a person could ever have. And He lead me to a wonderful church where I would later meet my husband. Now He has blessed us with our 3 cute little girls. Life is crazy, but it is very good. God has been so good to me. And this isn't even the rest of the story. For now, I'm outta here to continue celebrating. {And blowing my nose, and coughing my head off.}

1 comment:

Julie said...

Happy birthday again!--since you're celebrating every day. I think I'll try that too.